Thursday, June 14, 2012

lazy day los angeles

Los Angeles is BIG. Everyone told me that, but I didn't really understand until I got there. I decided to spend my few days there just strolling around some neighborhoods, rather than trying to see the whole city. I ended up spending most of my time in Venice and Santa Monica.

I spent a good part of one afternoon popping into shops on Abbot Kinney Boulevard in Venice. After lunch at Lemonade (amazing salads), I browed some clothes stores, bought a book about the history of yoga (I always have a hard time resisting books! It's for learning, right?), and stopped in some galleries. I had a great talk with Melissa from the M Herrington Gallery, which showcases her own work as well as that of several other amazing women artists. They seem to host great events I wish I could come back to town for!
I kept returning to Santa Monica Beach without meaning to. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I did. I am definitely a coast person - there is no sound more calming to me than waves breaking and foaming on to the beach - but I imagined the beach in LA would be crowded and unpleasant. Instead I found a peaceful oasis that seemed a million miles away from city streets. Reading my book on the beach with no where to go and nothing to do - feels like vacation.

No comments:

Post a Comment